This post contains affiliate links at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Joubert Den.
Breastfeeding can come with so many different challenges. So, having an electric breast pump handy makes all the difference. It can help with supply issues, mastitis (click here for my natural mastitis remedies), if your baby becomes uninterested in the breast, etc. It’s also good to build a freezer stash for emergencies and date nights. And if you’re a working mama, and breast pump is a necessity! However, there is one major con to electric breast pumps: you’re stuck plugged into a wall with an outlet. A battery operated breast pump solves this problem.
The Motif Duo Double Electric Breast Pump is a moderately priced, great option and can be covered by insurance. I was recently sent a Motif Duo fro Aeroflow Breastpumps, a company that helps you get breast pumps through your insurance. While I was sent the pump free of charge, all opinions are my own.
What Is It?
The Motif Duo Battery Operated Breast Pump features hospital grade suction, 10 expression and 10 massage levels, a closed system to prevent backflow, a single pumping option, and a quiet motor. It also has a memory mode, so you can save your favorite settings for later use.
What the Motif Duo Battery Operated Breast Pump Includes
The following comes in the box:
- 1 – Double electric breast pump
- 2 – 24mm breast shields (mine also came with 21mm and 27mm shields, which was great so I could choose the right size for me)
- 2 – 180mL milk collection container sets
- 2 – Nipples
- 2 – Valves
- 2 – Bottles
- 2 – Tubing
- 1 – Power Adapter
- It’s battery operated! This means it’s totally portable — I was even able to bring it with me on our road trip to Arizona last month and it totally saved us. The great thing is that the batteries are rechargeable, and the pump comes with a power adapter. If the battery runs out, you are still able to pump by plugging it into the wall. The battery lasts 2.5 hours.
- It’s small. The actual pump can fit in my hand, and I even have small hands! This is great for tossing it in the diaper bag.
- You can pump single or double. Sometimes all I have time for is 15 minutes of pumping, so with the double feature I can pump both breasts at the same time. But when I want to be more efficient, I can pump one side at a time and put a Haakaa on the other breast to get more milk.
- It has a backlit LED screen. This is nice so it doesn’t blind you in the middle of the night!
- It’s quiet! No waking up baby or husband.
- It has a closed system. This means it helps keep the pump clean and prevents contamination through a filter.
- It has an auto-shut off. This helps save battery by turning it off after 3o minutes.
- It’s fairly affordable. Plus, it could be covered by your insurance. See a price comparison chart below.
- It has quite a few small parts, which isn’t always the funnest to clean. So I bought a dishwasher basket for easy cleaning and sterilization. The pump was also a little confusing to put together at first because of all of the parts, but after the first time I understood it pretty quickly. You can watch this video for assembly help.
- Because the Motif Duo isn’t sold in stores, purchasing replacement parts might be tricky. You would have to go through Aeroflow, Motif Medical or Amazon.
- The suction could be better. In my opinion, the suction could be stronger. But I also don’t pump very often and am used to my baby’s strong suck! So I could just be unexperienced when it comes to levels of breast pump suction.
Should You Get the Motif Duo?
All in all, the Motif Duo is a great battery operated breast pump option. I think it’s especially great for moms like me who exclusively breastfeed and pump every so often, or would like to build up a freezer stash.
A Special Offer From Motif Medical
Did you purchase a Naya Smart Pump and it either stopped working properly or you haven’t even received it yet? Naya Health appears to have shut down without warning and has become unresponsive to customers. Motif Health is offering a free Motif breast pump to moms who have been failed by Naya. If you are waiting on your Naya Health breast pump or received a faulty Naya Health breast pump, contact Motif with proof of an undelivered or faulty Naya pump and Motif Medical will provide a Motif breast pump free of charge, while supplies last.