If you’re expecting a baby soon, you know that a lot of the focus has been on the baby and you as the mama. Things like planning for birth, setting up the nursery, going to baby showers, etc. This can sometimes overwhelm dad. To make him feel special and ready for the birth, make him a “new dad survival kit.”
What to put in a new dad survival kit
The kit doesn’t have to be extravagant! I originally got the idea from Pinterest, where I saw ones that included snacks, earplugs, etc. for the hospital. I decided to take it in a little bit of a different direction since we were having our baby at home, and included a lot of his favorite things and a few essentials such as:
- The Greatest Showman, his favorite movie, to watch at the beginning stages of labor or afterwards (we ended up watching it the night before our baby was born, when my contractions were starting to pick up but weren’t close enough together)
- Tissues, for when he cries during the birth
- Listerine pocket strips, for when his breath stinks during labor
- Root beer, his favorite drink!
- Axe Dark Temptation Body Wash, his favorite body wash for when he stinks while adjusting to life with a newborn (it smells like chocolate!)
- Really Ripped Abs Body Spray, his favorite/signature cologne, also for when he stinks 😉
- M&M’s, his favorite candy
- A pain reliever/sleep aid combo, for when he needs some pain relief/sleep
- Eye drops, since he tends to get dry, red eyes a lot when he’s tired
- Chocolate chap stick, for when his lips get chapped…and I just had to include this one as a joke because of the poop emoji and all of the dirty diapers he was going to be changing. This one is a “Kaomojibalm” and I bought it from Walmart. However, you can get a 4 pack of some of the different flavors on Amazon
What to put the new dad survival kit in
I just put all of the items in a basket with some blue tissue paper. Easy peasy! You could also use a bucket, storage bin, bag, etc.
When to give your partner the new dad survival kit
To make my husband, Cristian, feel special and celebrated too, I thought it would be fun to give him the new dad survival kit at my baby shower, when I was opening gifts. I know it’s not always kosher for the father to attend the baby shower, but he wanted to and I wanted him there!
- RELATED: My DIY Woodland Themed Baby Shower
I had my brother go upstairs and grab the kit when I was almost done opening the gifts. Then when I was done, I told Cristian I had something for him too.
He LOVED it, and was totally surprised. “I wasn’t expecting anything!” he said.
Needless to say, it was a huge hit.
This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for supporting The Joubert Den.